Update, Sept. 23: Meet the winner of the Ultimate Pittsburgh Pierogi Bracket
Update, Sept. 14: Which pierogi will be crowned the Ultimate Pittsburgh Pierogi? Vote now
Update, Aug. 31: Vote now for the Final 4 in the Ultimate Pittsburgh Pierogi Bracket
Voting in this round has closed.
Don’t mess with Pittsburghers’ pierogi traditions.
That means the Ukrainian Catholic Churches and many of the places that make old-school, traditional pierogies rose to the top.
The race to the Sweet Sixteen
S&D Polish Deli won its race against PNC Park with the highest percentage of votes — 82 percent. Not far behind was Holy Trinity Ukrainian Catholic Church with 78 percent of the vote over Apteka.
Those were two of five races where the winner earned more than 70 percent of the vote. The others were:
- Gosia’s Pierogies over Harris Grill (72 percent to 38 percent)
- St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church over St. Elias Byzantine Catholic Church (72 percent to 38 percent)
- Pierogies Plus over Franktuary (71 percent to 39 percent)
Epiphany of Our Lord won with 70 percent of the vote over Stuff’d Pierogi Bar, and also earned the titles of the contender with the most votes and the winner of the most voted-in race.
But every race wasn’t a runaway — two competitors dropped due to a vote split of 49 percent to 51 percent. Penn Brewery barely lost to Our Place Homemade, and Butterjoint squeezed out a win over Starlite Lounge.
Here’s a look at the rest of the races:
- Holy Family Parish won over Forgotten Taste with 69 percent of the vote.
- Church Brew Works also won with 69 percent of the vote over Crafthouse Stage & Grill.
- Pittsburgh Pierogi Truck earned 66 percent of the vote to top Grandma Cyl’s.
- St. George Ukrainian Catholic Church topped fellow church Corpus Christi Parish with 65 percent of the vote.
- Saints Peter and Paul Ukrainian Church won over Dorothy 6 Blast Furnace Cafe with 59 percent of the vote.
- City Fresh earned 57 percent of the vote to beat Kaczor Ravioli Company.
- Bubba’s advanced over Union Grill with 54 percent.
- Saint Mary of Mount Parish beat COP OUT Pierogies with 54 percent of the vote.
Entering the Elite Eight
It’s time for the next round — and remember, every vote in every round counts, so make sure you vote to advance your favorites to the Elite Eight. (Here’s more about how our bracket process works.)
This time, the voting window is shorter, too. Voting ends at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug 30. (The next round will be posted Friday, Aug 31.) Use the form below, or vote here.